mgs

Re: oil>>>>>slick

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: oil>>>>>slick
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 22 Mar 1996 09:16:58 -0600
In <960322084109_452225537@emout10.mail.aol.com>, PVANDAL@aol.com wrote:
>Last fall I purchased a '73 MGB driver to sit along side my  '62 AH-BT7 and
>'68 TR-250.  Although both the latter vehicles leak oil, it in no way comes
>close to the MG.   Over the winter I place a large cardboard under the engine
>area of the MG.   This cardboard is now fully saturated and has small
>puddles.    With all the stories of Brit cars and the oil leaks......is this
>something that I should be concerned with?   What are the normal places to
>begin to control the circumstance?  ie replace the oil pan gasket?  I realize
>that with the AH the engine was designed without a rear main seal and the
>only seal is the rear main bearing tollerance.   Could the MG have more
>serious problems than the sump gasket??

Welcome to the wonderful world of motoring.

There are three or four general causes of leaks in this (or any) LBC
engine.  (1) As you guess, the sump gasket.  This is not usually the
problem, in that there is no real stress put on the sump/block seal,
but it could happen in the cheesy sheetmetal sump of the B has a bent
sealing surface.  (2) Crank seals.  This is where Britcars generally
ooze.  The B however does have proper (spring/rubber) crank seals
instead of (a) no crank seal, or (b) a piece of dired out, crumbly
cork, or (c) graphite-impregnated rope, to be found on other
incarnations.  The front crank seal is fairly easy to replace (remove
the timing chain cover), but replacement of the rear crank seal
requires removal of the flywheel (= engine hoist).  (3) Rocker cover
gasket.  This is often a source of leaks, which usually result from
the gasket being installed improperly (or from the improper gasket
being used).  Note that the rocker cover gaskets from Victoria
British are about 1/4" too short and are therefore useless.  (4)
Other.  On the B this includes leakage from the oil cooler lines or
from the filter.

It is unusual to see a puddle grow under a car that is stationary.
Did you drive your car during the winter?  That sloshes everything
around and can support a growing puddle.  If the car was stationary,
could be that your sump plug is loose....

To find the leak, wash the engine.  Get a spray can of Gunk and
saturate the engine top to bottom.  Don't be afraid to use the whole
can, although some areas will need to be hit at least twice.  Let it
soak for 15-20 minutes and then hit it with the hose.  This will
release unspeakable glop onto your driveway, which may be Politically
Incorrect, so do it at someone else's house.  Use a roll of paper
towels to get all of the crud off.  Now drive the car a few miles and
then let it sit for the baptism to take place.

If you replace any gaskets, DO NOT use RTV (rubber) gasket compound on
any surfaces that are in contact with the oil circulation.  It can
ooze out when curing and break off into big globs that can clog narrow
oil passages.  Hylomar (available from Permatex) or Permatex #2 are
preferable sealants.
                                A. B. Bonds