mgs

Re: Timing question

To: Gen <glcory@artsci.wustl.edu>
Subject: Re: Timing question
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 16:51:55 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 8 Mar 1996, Gen wrote:

> I'm holding off on calling Car Talk on this one because I think they'll
> call me a fool for even having a British car, but I'm curious:  my dad

Yeah, but one of them drives a '63 Dodge Dart fergoshsakes, and it's a
beaut, too.

> set the timing at Xmas in my 71 BGT dynamically, strobe light, whiteout
> on the mark etc., and it ran fine.  Two weeks ago I was driving around
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's the key.  It ran fine for a couple of months with that timing.  If
it were going to move it would have moved.

Obviously _Dad_ can't be wrong.

> and apparently backed over a curb just enough to dislodge the muffler,
> so the rpms wouldn't go over 2000 anymore.  I tried many things and

If the exhaust was crimped (creating excessive back-pressure) this could
happen.  If the muffler just fell off it would cause reduced torque
(maybe) but it wouldn't prevent revving over 2000 RPM.

> accidentally put an air cleaner back on upside down so eventually took
> it to a shop where the guy said the timing was way off.  He set it with
> the engine not running and said you shouldn't do it dynamically.

You do have to remove and plug the vacuum advance hose, to prevent that
from altering the timing.  I've set it 5 degrees or so too retarded when
I've forgotten this step.

If the car ran at all well you were within 10-15 degrees of the right
timing, and I would bet a lot closer than that.  Dynamic timing is as
accurate (if not more so) than static timing, if the vacuum advance is
disabled and the distributor doesn't wobble too much.  If it wobbles a
lot you won't get accurate timing no matter how you do it.

I didn't quite follow the "air cleaner upside down" part but I am sure
you can clarify.

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
"Lyall's Conjecture:
   If a computer cable has one end, then it has another."