mgs

Re: More questions...

To: loki@computek.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More questions...
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 14:43:10 -0500
In a message dated 96-03-07 12:04:59 EST, loki@computek.net (Ross A.
Goldberg) writes:

>From pictures I have seen of how my setup
>should look there is a rubber hose attached to a pipe attached to another
>rubber hose attached to some sort of valve (??) which feeds into the 'T'
>connection.

Exactly. The copper hose is supposed to run behind the vacuum riser for the
pcv valve, and bolts down to a couple of the "spare" bolts that are run into
the top of the intake manifold. This arrangement is far better than a long
hose, as it is stronger, more rigid and can be bolted down with the slip-over
brackets, keeping the hose off the carbs and fuel lines. (which WILL cause
vapor lock, every time)
The T is just that, a piece of pipe with a T. This allows the bottom hose to
be the same as the top hose, the connector to the copper pipe is normal
heater hose, and the connector to the water pump is a normal straight length
of radiator hose. (no "valve" is involved)
Later on the factory replaced this arrangement with a 3 piece hose to
eliminate the pipe. This is a bad idea, cause the 3 piece hoses never last
that long, always seem to de-laminate at the splice. Then you have a
non-functioning car needing a special order hose ($$$$) that is not available
in Outer Cactuses where you are broken down. The original arrangement allows
fixes to be done with straight, standard (read
American-Car-and-the-gas-station-has-it) radiator and heater hose and
minimises the spares you need to carry.
Cheers