mgs

Re: More Questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More Questions
From: "Ross A. Goldberg" <loki@computek.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 10:44:39 -0600
Hello,

>     Ross, I suspect that the brake drums on your car are warped.  This
>     will result in you being unable to adjust the rear brakes correctly -
>     if you tighten them own so that the wheels turn, but catch at certain
>     points, the brakes will wear so that they turn freely within a few
>     miles.  Each time you do this, the problem will get worse -- the heat
>     will warp the drums even more.

This was what I was afraid might be the problem.  I took one of the brake
drums off yesterday to inspect everything and it all 'looked' fine to my
untrained eye.  The brake shoes had 1/8" - 1/4" pad left on them all the way
around (although the shoes themselves had rust spots all over them).  The
wheel cylinder looked to be in good shape and the rubber parts still looked
like rubber <g>

>     Otherwise if you set them so that the wheels turn freely, it will feel
>     as though the brakes are adjusted too far out. This will cause the
>     pumping required to make the brake pedal feel firm.

Adjusting them this way did make me have to push the pedal more to stop the
car (so I put the brakes back the way they were).  I am thinking of leaving
this to a professional brake shop.  Most things I don't worry about myself
working on, but if I mess up the brakes that could mean my life or the life
of someone else on the road.

One good thing that came from me taking off the brake drums -- I know
understand how the adjustment screw (wedge) works!!  I couldn't figure out
what everyone meant by turn it one 'click'.  I now see it is supposed to be
a four-sided wedge -- mine is four-sided, but the corners are worn down
enough to prevent it from 'clicking' when you spin it.  Will wonders never
cease <g>

Thanks for your advice,
Ross
66 MGB