mgs

re: top down in the cold

To: MGS@autox.team.net
Subject: re: top down in the cold
From: macleodm@cadvision.com (Michael MacLeod)
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 1996 08:05:52 -0700
>>Not only did I have a blast, only
>>get mildly frostbitten around the ears,...
>
>I concur on this 100%.  My best such top-down in bad weather jaunt was in me
>Mog actually (67 4/4) in a pretty heavy summer rain (okay, it *was* about 80
>degrees so my ears didn't frostbite).  ...

        OK you weenies, listen up and listen good.  I'm only going to tell
this story once.  (don't you wish?)

        Back in 1970 I purchased my MGA on a student loan and went back to
University.  The car was in pretty good shape but being young, dumb, and
etc.I decided that I need to "restore" it.  I ordered a new top from London
Trimming Co. in October and expected to wait two weeks for it to fly across
the ocean before I took off the old top.

        The middle of an extremely mild November arrived with no top but I
figured it would arrive any day and so removed the old one.  -- You guessed
it.  I spent the entire winter in Alberta (Home of the "Alberta Clipper" to
all you folks south of the border.) driving my beloved MG without a ragtop.

        The top arrived in March by surface mail from England, but I had
gone everywhere in my car.  Boy, you get a lot of strange looks with your
skis poking out of the back of the tonneau cover and 2 inches of snow on
your hat and shoulders.  I figured that I looked quited dashing and
expected hordes of girls to agree.  I was doomed to disappointment.

        It was shortly after this that I realized the truth, that girls
really are much more intelligent that men. No girl in her right mind would
volunatarily freeze her parts off just to go for a ride in a sports car
with an intellectually suspect male.

       Any one got a better winter MG story?  Let's hear 'em.

Michael MacLeod    From Alberta - Where the beer and the antelope freeze!!
'68 BSA Spitfire                   '60 MGA                      '63 Jag Mk 10
'83 BMW R100 RS