mgs

Air Pump Belt

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Air Pump Belt
From: Motorheadx@aol.com
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 12:48:55 -0500
Hi,

     The pollution control systems on our British cars are the subject of
controversy and the cause of pain.  Basically, if your system is intact, keep
it that way.  If your system is missing or defective you might consider
gathering the parts to fix it. If your state doesn't require strict emissions
control now, it may be planning to.  It is illegal for a repair shop to
modify or remove pollution control equipment. I had heard that it was also
illegal for a shop to advise how to disable the emissions system.  (A gag
order for car owners probably lives up to its name).

     Before the 1980's, lots of our cars had pollution controls removed in
the hope that horsepower or other efficiencies could be gained.  More
recently, states like Virginia require that cars not only pass the prevailing
emission standards for their year but also have their anti-pollution
equipment intact.

     In Virginia, the inspection of cars is performed at state-sanctioned
service stations. Safety inspection once a year gets you a windshield
sticker; an emissions inspection every two years gets you license plate
renewals.  Northern Virginia's standards were being considered as a model for
other states and have gone through some changes over the last few years.

      Properly tuned British cars will often pass emissions tests even
without pollution control equipment. A car that tested perfectly for
emissions could fail for missing equipment.  The confusion resulted in the
intact pollution control equipment being made part of our safety inspection.

    Until recently, your car could be inspected for emissions equipment, pass
at one station which was unfamiliar or didn't look closely under the bonnet
and be failed at another station. You could get a waiver from passing
emissions if you spent a nominal amount on tuning.  There was no waiver for
having to spend money on missing equipment although a special exception could
be made if two parts suppliers signed that the part was unavailable.  The
Virginia officials who adjudicated these procedures were very understanding
and helpful toward owners.

      On a late model MGB, the cost of completely refitting a car that has
illegally been converted to a Weber set up and has had the air pump system
removed is about $2500.  More than one owner has sold their car out of
frustration rather than pay the price of compliance.  Do you get the feeling
that new car manufacturers' lobbyists would approve of these laws?

     The specific reason, beyond clean-living, to replace the air pump belt
is that the air pump may lock up from inactivity.  A moot point, perhaps,
because the air pump will lock up eventually anyway if it is not already so
disposed.

     By the way,  if you have an air pump intact and you hear screeching,
smell burning, and see the temp gauge climbing, your air pump may have seized
and is a drag on the water pump.  If the air pump belt were not present you
could probably make it home.

     These opinions are made from memory.  Close readers of prevailing EPA
wisdom will undoubtedly have better facts.

Have fun,

Jeff and your friends at Motorhead
2811-B Old Lee Hwy
Fairfax, VA 22031
(800) 527-3140

Subj:   Air Pump Belt
Date:   96-02-17 08:22:20 EST
From:   HANSONDR@aol.com

Newbie! I purchased an 80B late last fall. In checking the service manual
I've been tracing the car to learn the parts. I found the air pump belt is
missing. What would the consequences be of not replacing part of the emission
system?
Thanks  - Dave