mgs

Re: Trip to England

To: Davis Robert <RTDAVIS@space.honeywell.com>, hlw <hlw@ihlpf.att.com>,
Subject: Re: Trip to England
From: bleckstein@shell.monmouth.com
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 19:08:41 -0500
Oh how terrible. You were in Abingdon and someone gave you little and wrong
information.

First, the office where Kimber directed the company is right next to the MGCC
Office. The last time I was there, the present occupant allowed me inside and
showed me the exact office and where Kimber's desk used to be..

There are numerous sites on the factory grounds that still exist.The Boundary
House is now a beautiful Moreland Pub and was once Kimber"s house. There is a
plaque at the entrance which I presented on behalf of the NEMGTR. The Magic
Midget is another Pub that displays memorabilia and was a hangout for workers
in
the days the factory operated.

As part of our trip of 89 T types to England in 1990 we prepared a historical
map and guide to Abingdon and Oxford. The MGCC later produced a glossy brochure
and hand out along the same idea. That should have been given to the tourist
visitor

Its a must on any trip to England, that I make my pilgrimage to Abingdon, and I
always enjoy it. The Abingdon Lodge across from the factory site is a lovely
modern hotel with Octagon reception rooms and MG themes .

Unfortunately the town of Abingdon has grown a lot since MG was its biggest
industry. I understand the Pavlova Leather works next to the factory site( and
from whom the site was purchased in 1929) has also recently closed. Ideas to
turn the former office portion of the factory( where Kimber"s office was) into
an MG museum seems to be dead in the water after a lot of hope.

When we were there in 1990 the MGCC arranged to place a sign on the office
building recreating the look of the building as it was in the 1930's. That
coupled with the endless line of prewar and T types in front and along Cemetery
Lane recreated the feeling of a bygone error.

Before going to England I really recommend one or both professional videos made
of the  1990 trip. I think they are available from BritBooks. (I have no
financial interest in them) They are interesting and fun to watch . They are
the
Circuit of Britain which is well narrated, and "Look Right Keep Left" which is
record of the trip from one persons individual experiences. This one is quite
amusing.

Someday when I am retired and living off my three sons whom we are now putting
through college, We may organise another trip.

Mike Leckstein