mgs

Re: Tow Bar

To: prsmith@satcom.whit.org, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tow Bar
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 15:19:59 +0500
>If I  remove the front rubber bumper from my 80B, can I attach a tow bar
>to the bracketss on the car - are they strong enough for this task?

Seen that done before.  Should work fine.

>Of course i will disconnect and tie up the drive shaft

Good idea (couldn't hurt anyway), especially if you'll be dragging it
more than say twenty miles.  Disconnect it at the differential.  Mark
the flanges somehow so you get it lined up the same way when you
reconnect hings.

> - do i have to tie
>down the steering wheel?

Do NOT restrict the steering in any way.  If you watch a car in tow,
you'll see the front wheels track with the towing vehicle (black magic,
I say!).   If the wheels can't steer they'll drag and scrape and possibly
cause all sorts of problems.  The steering should be allowed to rotate
freely.  That means leaving the key in the ignition so the steering lock
is disengaged.
--
Jay Tilton / jtilton@vt.edu  (vt = Virginia Tech)
http://fbox.vt.edu:10021/J/jtilton/index.html