mgs

Valve Timing Question

Subject: Valve Timing Question
From: John Van Valkenburgh <jvan@nando.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 1996 19:56:42 -0500 (EST)
Hello again,

   I am happy to report that the MGB engine rebuild is about finished!  I
had a problem earlier with oil pressure, but after many suggestions from
the list, I fixed the oil pump gasket and all is well.

   I ran a compression test today and I measure 180 lbs +- 5 lbs on each
cylinder.  After adjusting the timing, the engine is beginning to smooth
out, but still runs rough with a distinct lack of power.  I suspect that
I'm still having carb problems, but I do have a question.

   If the valve timing were off, would I still get strong even
compression across all 4 cylinders?  Its my guess that good compression
shows that the valve timing and valve settings are all fine, but I'm
curious what everyone else thinks.

Thanks!
John Van Valkenburgh
Raleigh, NC   1970 MGB