mgs

Re: Engine troubles...

To: CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu
Subject: Re: Engine troubles...
From: Mike Lambdin <E720LAM@TOE.TOWSON.EDU>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 1996 09:32:35 -0500 (EST)
Dave,

Regarding your RX-7...are you familiar with the Wankel engine of the
early (?) 70s? The reason for its demise was the constant failure of
the apex seal. Usually via wear (due to the material used) but also,
on occasion, a result of breakage.
I once owned an '89 RX-7 and had the same thing happen to me. Cruising
down the interstate with the speedometer pegged, at the time it
happened, may have been a determining factor.
Beings the motor had recently turned 150,000 miles I figured it made sense
to replace all 6 seals while  the work was being done.

Good luck, let me know how things work out.

Mike Lambdin

2)LJC Engine Trouble:
***************
Bad spark plug wires?

I have a 1986 Mazda RX-7 exquiped with the normally aspirated 13b rotary
engine
which I have owned since 1989.  This car has about 107,000 km on it and has
been
serviced regularly.  While driving at about 60 km/h it developed a miss.  I
limped
it into the local dealership and they at first thought that the problem was
bad
igniter coil (no spark).  They then told me I had lost all compression in
the
rear
rotor, possibly due to a bad apex seal.  Is this sort of sudden failure
common?
The engine had  good compression in both rotors when it was serviced this
spring.

Thanks,

Dave Morris
'72 MGB