mgs

Re: TF Mystery

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TF Mystery
From: dcouncil@imt.net
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 1995 09:44:57 -0700
In a previous posting to mgs (edited):

>Here`s a mystery no one can solve to date:
>The facts :

>3. After the head was done the car would suddenly loose power like two
cylinders
>quitting when cruising in 4th on an interstate over 3700 rpms after taking a
>gentile and I mean gentile hill.
>4. The engine will recover if I push in the clutch and let the rpms drop to
idle
>for a second or two.
>5. It doesn`t happen on every hill, never in any other gear. The car turns
5500
>rpm in any other gear under any kind of load without problem.
>6. I have replaced the fuel pump twice on a theory of gas starvation. I have
>cleaned all filters including the screen at the tank. I have had the carbs.
>redone.

I still like the fuel starvation theory. I had a similar problem with my
other car*. After cleaning the fuel filter, tuning the car, replacing the
fuel pump,and other unsuccessful efforts, I found that the valve seat for
the needle/valve assembly to the float bowl had loosened, lowering the level
of fuel in the bowl.

It could be coincidental that the problem occurred after the valve job. But
when in doubt, look at all the possibilities.

*The other car was Japanese (Toyota Landcruiser) which I did refer to as a
"Jap" car on this list. One reader suggests this may be offensive; however,
I used the term merely as a shortened word. One must look at intent -
besides, using offensive terms with one's car only invites mechanical
breakdown. My Landcruiser is much like my BGT - treated kindly and used
routinely, it will be reliable.

David Councill
dcouncil@imt.net