mgs

Rear axle noise

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear axle noise
From: Glenn Mapes <gmapes@ball.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 95 13:53:00 mdt
Hello fellow scions
I have been experiencing some strange noises from the rear axle of my 1968
MGB and am seeking the net's wisdom to locate the source of the noise.  When
starting out, there is a metallic ringing - like bad U-joints; when turning
right, there is a "scraping" or "rubbing" noise coming from, I think, the
left side of the rear axle.
 I replaced both U-joints but the ringing noise is still there - no change
at all.  I suspect the shims in the pinion wheels need to be replaced and
that the rubbing noise is possibly the bearing on the left side goin bad.
Any comments or suggestions as to what the problem(s) are?

Thanks in advance
Glenn Mapes
1968 MGB