mgs

Support of local "artists"

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Support of local "artists"
From: "David M Culgan" <culgandm@ggdns.gg.dupont.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 95 15:28:29 EDT
In message <199508231831.OAA06173@mail-e1a.megaweb.com> Damit Dick writes:

> >Local parts stores operate at gross margins of 20% to 40%.  Retail
> >customers pay the higher mark-up.  A local store provides local jobs and
> >has access to many parts when needed in an emergency. Add up all the

financial stuff deleted

> >Charles E. Edwards, CPA
> >Virginia Beach, VA
> >cedwards@pinn.net
> >
> Now charles, at the prices this guy is charging, he is definetly going to

But if you are blessed with local suppliers that gives a good price - use them.

I guess a commercial plug wouldn't be too unappropriate here: I'm fortunate to
have Jim Knight's "British Racing Green" in Newark, DE just two miles from my
office. Although I don't compare _everytime_, I believe they meet or beat
catalog prices for comparable items. He also has a scrap yard with a large, but
getting smaller, amount of MG's. This business used to be a "full service" shop,
car sales, maintenance, and parts both used and new. At this point he has
trimmed down to just the parts sales, he'll still sell you a "project" out his
lot, but only "as-is". Many of these are going overseas, where Jim tells me they
bring a much higher value. I'll be doing another MG restoration in a year or so,
I hope he's still around.

Dave Culgan
'66 MGB
'70 MGBGT