mgs

Re: Re.: MGA 1600 timing, vacuum advance

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re.: MGA 1600 timing, vacuum advance
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 20:25:10 +0600
thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe) writes:

>My
>car has the high compression engine as (I'm told) did all of the MG's
>imported to the states.  Are you sure yours has the low compression engine?

All rubber bumper B's exported to the US had low compression engines.  In
fact, high compression hasn't been seen in the North American market since
the advent of 18V engine (1972).

Anybody who wants to check for themselves, look at the last series of
numbers on your engine plate.  Lxxxx indicates low compression, Hxxxx
indicates high compression.

FWIW, my 77 B doesn't get along at all well with 89 octane.  Dreadfully
embarrassing pinking.
--
Jay Tilton       |  You can duplicate the effects of Lucas taillights by
jtilton@vt.edu   |  leaving a flashlight on for seven hours then putting