mgs

Speaking of coolant...

To: mgs@autox.team.net (mgs)
Subject: Speaking of coolant...
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 12:05:49 -0500 (CDT)
... I had an odd experience the other day.  On the way home from work,
my car ('74 'B, 180deg thermostat, heavy-duty 4-row core radiator, no
recovery system) was running a little hotter than usual:  The gauge was
reading just above the "N", rather than just below it, as is normal.
The odd part is that this symptom (which has only been observed on this
one occasion) was accompanied by a random miss in the engine.  After 8
or so highway miles, the gauge went to its normal position and the miss
stopped.

My suspicion:  I had removed the overflow hose (because I bought it from
Moss and it was cracking and breaking at the radiator fitting and I was
disgusted with it).  I figured that coolant was spitting out of the
fitting sans hose, which would put a coarse mist of coolant directly in
the path of the intake for the front carb.  I can't quite reason through
the difference in gauge readings.

Keep those hoses, folks (assuming my diagnosis was correct; I guess I'll
never know).

--

Todd Mullins
todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil     On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast