mgs

Re: MGB SU fuel pump

To: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Subject: Re: MGB SU fuel pump
From: Marc Steinberg <marc@crl.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 17:42:52 -0700 (PDT)

Sounds to me like the pump itself is weak -- it's not just an air leak.
You can buy rebuild kits for $30 or so -- and you can buy a brand-new SU
pump for $75 if you're as lucky as I was.  Not sure if anybody on this
list is from Atlanta, but my 63 B's pump gave up the ghost on GA 400
about 1/4 mile from I-285.  NOT an auspicious location for a breakdown,
especially since my car is pre-hazard lights.

I first attempted to make all the gaskets just as you did, and with the
exact same results.  I have since rebuilt the entire pump and it works
just fine regardless of the gas level (now if only the car were put
together...).  I keep it as a spare in the boot when I plan to drive more
than 100 miles away from home.

-- Marc
GHN3/8214