mgs

Midget Handling

Subject: Midget Handling
From: nvenn@mpc-uk.com (Neil Venn)
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 95 16:55:40 BST
Alan Tong from Enfield MG Owners Club posted a list a while ago about
Midget handling. Let's see how my 1275cc, 5 speed, mildly uprated, Mk IV,
RWA Midget gets on:

> 1.  Uprate the anti roll bar.
Done. Really improved matters - must get round to the polywhatisname bushes!

> 2.  Get rid on the spacer plates on the rear spring front plate (1500 only)
Got a 1275.

> 3.  Uprate the front springs. For chrome bumper, dont lower but uprate to
> 350lbs.  For Rubber bumper uprate to 350lbs and also drop by 1 inch (1 1/4 if
> you have low profile tires).
Done. But had Moss springs (I think) were "slightly lower" which seemed quite
a lot. Did help, plus made the car look more purposeful!

> 4.  Change your tires for 165/70R13 profile.  It is possible to fit 175/70,
> check clearance at the back.  Some wire wheel conversion kits reduce rear
> clearance.
Done. Got a set of 165/70R13 Goodyear Aquatread. Don't bother with these tyres
they don't seem to help in the damp condition I often encounter, probably
better in very, very wet conditions but there's no fun to be had in a midget
so I don't bother going out.

> 5.  Uprate the front dampers by about 30%
I am not sure whether or not I got round to this. I think I ordered replacement
valves but I don't remember fitting them. (I can be forgetful at times.)

> 6.  Replace the rear spring shackle bushes with polyurathane or even nylatron
> bushes to reduce the sideways movement of the springs.
I must get round to this one as well. My car is better than it used to be, but
still suffers from sideways movement when I hit potholes, espially going
around corners at speed.

> 7.  Lower the rear springs by 1 inch, but DO NOT uprate them as this will
> reduce travel and cause the rear wheels to lift off the ground.
I don't want to attempt this as my exhaust hangs so low I scrape it already!

/------------------------------------------------------------------------\
|                                  |                                     |
| Beep, beep,                /|    |  E-Mail: nvenn@hoskyns.co.uk        |
|                          /| o    |                                     |
| Neil                 (8^)=) |    |  Paper Mail: Neil Venn,             |
|                       "   | o    |              Technical Consultant,  |
| "Safety Fast!"            \_|    |              Hoskyns,               |
|                            "     |              City House,            |
|                            *     |              190 City Road,         |
|                           *      |              London, WC1V 2QH,      |
|                         *        |              England.               |