Re: [Mgb-v8] Electrical question

To: MG <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgb-v8] Electrical question
From: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 19:07:22 -0700
        I agree with Keith---internal battery shorts of any kind
would not fry any external wiring.  Such shorts would just reduce the
capacity of the battery---a shorted cell is a dead cell.

        However, such shorting could very well be the RESULT of an
external short circuit, if it was bad enough and if it lasted long
enough.  Excessive current through a battery can buckle and damage
plates to a degree consistent with the severity and duration of the
problem.

        I do not know Saab wiring firsthand so am not qualified to
comment on just what actually did happen.  But I did notice Barrie
talked about a ground wire from chassis to alternator and you (Keith)
talk about a ground wire between block and alternator.  I wonder
which, if either, it actually is.  Or if it is perhaps a heavy cable
running to the starter from wherever.  To fry and smoke a heavy cable
could require several hundred amps of current and this could easily
be enough to damage plates in a battery if it persisted for more than
a few seconds.

        Just my 2 cents worth.  Sorry I cannot be more specific.

Regards,
David Kernberger

>It may well have been put in reversed. The alternator on older saabs (c900)
>is grounded to the block by a small 10GA wire. If you put the battery in
>reversed, you may fry this short cable. A n internally shorted battery
>should do nothing good or bad, I would think.
>
>KeithG
>
>On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca> wrote:
>
>>  Hello folks at world,
>>
>>  A sort of friend of mine found his battery was flat in his.......now wait
>>  for it......Saab!  But this is an electrical question not a Saab/MG/Brit car
>>  question.
>>
>>  He charged the battery and replaced with a resultant huge cloud of smoke
>>  and burning smell.  The lead between the alternator and chassis was toast
>>  (it may have been the starter - he is not too observant!).   Someone said it
>>  was because he reversed the polarity (hmmmm!) but the shop said the battery
>>  plates had collapsed and shorted out.   To me neither sounds right.  Anybody
>>  got an insightful suggestion
>>
>>  Regards
>>
>>  Barrie
>>  barrie@look.ca