Re: [Mgb-v8] I have an MGB V8 question

To: "The Rays" <therays@ellijay.com>, "MG-V8 List"
Subject: Re: [Mgb-v8] I have an MGB V8 question
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 09:27:11 +0100
I would also question whether it is missing or simply hesitating or
flat-spotting.  The latter can be caused by an incorrect profile needle (if
SUs or other CD carb) giving weak mixture at part throttle acceleration,
needing full throttle to get past it.  As confirmation you can richen the
mixture and if that cures it fit a 'richer' needle i.e. one that tapers more
rapidly.

If misfiring which should cause popping and banging in the exhaust the other
important question is, is the tach fluttering when the symptom occurs or is
it steady?  If fluttering then it is an ignition LT problem i.e. ignition
feed, coil, points, distributor ground wire, and connections between them.
If steady then it points to HT or fuel, but could be condenser.

But without knowing what engine, fuel or ignition systems you have it is
very difficult to advise further.

PaulH.