Re: The X-Member

To: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>, mgb-v8@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The X-Member
From: Simon & Donna <sdaustin@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 14:04:23 -0700
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I know what you're saying, Barrie, about this particular cross-member. I have to contemplate pulling my engine/'box to replace a very small o-ring at the top of the 'box due to a leak. So far I've been living with the drip.

As for the integral x-member been made removable, not sure I'd want to do this as this x-member provides lateral strength to the body that may not be possible if just bolted in. But then again, I'm no structural engineer.

Glad to hear you've sorted out the issues with your car. I'm running around with mine with a big grin on my face. I too believe in the powers of ceramic coatings.......seems to make a big difference in under-hood temps.

Cheers
Simon

Subject: The X-Member

Having had fun contemplating renewing the oil pump bits in my SD1
gearbox  (connected to a Rover V8 - installed in a 1970 MGB GT shell)  I
was advised that the gearbox may have to come out.  For 'gearbox' read the
whole damn motor!   Seems the integral cross member stops the box just
dropping down - a painful design!    So I asked Kelvin Dodd if Moss had
ever contemplated making a kit to make the X-member removable.  But alas
no!    Has anyone ever examined the possibility of doing this?  I have to
confess I have not been able to get under my MGB so maybe it just is not
doable?

I am happy to say my MGB GT V8 has been running fine - no splutters at
all.   Electric fan only comes on in heavy traffic or when I park - then
only for a couple of minutes.  So ceramic coatings live !!!.......as well
as decent lbs from fuel pumps.

Regards

Barrie Robinson