Splutter - splutter

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Splutter - splutter
From: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:31:03 -0700
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
This is the continuing saga of my MGB GT V8 with Rover V8, Edelbrock manny and carb continually spluttering and often dying along the road.

Please would someone tell me if the engine should be turning clockwise (facing the bonnet) and thus should my water pump pulley be turning clockwise? The reason I ask is that it would appear the pump should turn anti-clockwise - This by examining the pump that came off the engine (I replaced it with a shortened one). I am assuming that the 'C' curvature vanes go so the C mouth goes in the lead. If the pump has to turn anti-clockwise then how do I do it with a clockwise motor.

The latest in the painful process is that the intake manifold has been re-installed as it had massive air leaks - motor runs MUCH better now but splutter-splutter still persists. After the garage chap took it for a spin and experienced the problem we had three mechanics plus boss musing over the engine. What was VERY noticeable was that the engine was very hot. You could not touch the carb. Coil and Lumenition power pack were also scalding BUT the rad was not so bad. Thus we figured that cooling was the problem and the splutter was due to fuel boiling in carb. As the rad seems fine and the fan comes on it has to be the pump or thermostat. The latter the mechanics dismissed for some reason or other ????

Any advice would be appreciated - Having missed Terre Haute I am now faced with missing the HUGE Canadian Bronte meet !!!

Regards

Barrie Robinson
barrie@look.ca
///
/// mgb-v8@autox.team.net mailing list
/// Send admin requests to majordomo@autox.team.net
/// Send list postings to mgb-v8@autox.team.net
/// Edit your replies! If they include this trailer, they will NOT be sent.