Re: LS1 MGB

To: clindh@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: LS1 MGB
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 17:50:29 -0400
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Chris,
Are you talking about the iron block LS1? I don't remember the exact numbers, but the weight difference between a 215 and all-aluminum LS1/LS6 is far less than 100 lbs.
JJJ

clindh@bellsouth.net wrote:

Hi I'm Chris in Atlanta,

Is anyone working on putting the LS1 in an MGB?  I like how light the Rover engine is (300 lbs. correct?)... but I'm thinking the LS1 without A/C or power steering is going to be around 400lbs (vs. the 1st generation small block Chevy  which is over 500 lbs.).  I've done quite a bit of searching but haven't found anyone doing the swap (yet).  LS1s/T56s are plentiful as well.

I gave my brother my first car, a '77 MGB in sandglow.  He's just letting it sit so I'm thinking about getting it back.  The 1800 ran fine before but I think a V8 would be more my speed (my other projects are an '80 El Camino with a 406 SBC / Doug Nash 5 speed and a '68 Chevelle SS396).

Thanks!
Chris