Re: The June meet at Terre Haute

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The June meet at Terre Haute
From: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 11:12:40 -0700
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Rick,

Oh woe is me for I am undone.  I shall not walk in the great halls of Terre
Haute, neither shall I lay tribute before the gods therein.  My heart is
heavy and my arm is weak. I am condemned to wander the earth for a further
twelve moons.  Blessed be ye that go before me, and blessed are those that
overcome the vicissitudes of the Lord Rover

I took my MGB GT V8 on a test run to the Henley regatta at St Catharines,
Ontario because my crew was racing there.  Only 10km out I experienced a
fuel shortage but got going again.  Got on the 407 toll road and had a few
more splutters - pressed on!  At Henley I was to park the MGB at Brock
University and get a lift to the dinner do.  At the intersection of the
road out of the regatta and the MAIN (busy!) road - I stalled.  Much
annoyance from SUV drivers.  Got started but found to my horror that I
could not turn wheel back to straight (right).  I plowed into the
oncoming  (slow) traffic.  Luckily the traffic knew something was up - I
mean how may times does one come across an immaculate MGB parked
kitty-corner under the traffic lights.  I spotted a drive to the left and
drove slowly towards it - crossing the bows of an extremely obnoxious
albeit stationary Merc SUV.  But, I could not get it to turn anymore and so
ended up on someone's pristine lawn.  Chap from the regatta stopped to help
and we found a bolt had dropped out of the top knuckle of the steering rod
- obviously the garage that did that bit did not tighten it and 165km had
caused the nut to drop off.   The scary thing is....had it been on the
highway..........it does not bear thinking about.  But besides some minor
problems all seemed well except my gearbox was becoming noisy and I could
not select reverse (but reversing lights stay on).   Yesterday I started
for home and all went well except for gearbox.  50km out the old splutter
splutter fuel problem started.  I lowered my speed and that increased my
'run'.  When it started to die I pumped the gas pedal and it would go off
again.  It got worse and worse so much so that for the last 5 km it died
completely  I was having to restart engine every 100metres or so.  Seemed
like I filled the carb and would run as far as that would last.  Gearbox
very very noisy.  Last breakdown was 200 metres from my house and it just
not go so I coasted down only to have the engine roar into life allowing me
to park in my driveway amid cheers from some neighbours.  So the splutter
will be fixed easily but the gearbox is another story.  I do also have to
check that is not the rear axle but I think not.  Sound is from gearbox
hole (no boot cover thing yet)

So Rick, my gearbox has killed the trip and I am so very disappointed.  Can
you post me my shirt?  And if there is any money recovery I would
appreciate it as gearboxes are expensive.  But I realise the cash was non
refundable.  Please please convey my regards to all those who will be
attending -I did so much want to meet them.  Hopefully, next years will be
closer to me - but maybe not.