Re: 3.9 piston options?

To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 3.9 piston options?
From: "Carl Floyd" <cmfloyd@chartertn.net>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 11:07:11 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Keith,

I have spent waaay tooo many hours looking thru piston catalogs trying to
find an alternative for those truck slugs. I believe I actually hit on
something.

Since the compression height seems to be the problem, I found a piston that
would fit in the 3.9 bore, then started working on stroke & rod lengths to
get the piston up closer to the top of the deck.

My solution: 305 Chevy piston with a 6" Chevy rod. This combo will put the
piston .001" above the deck. Check out the specs on the KB145 piston
(hypereutectic, not forged) and try out the calculators at United Machines
website:

http://kb-silvolite.com/calc.php

By shaving the top of the piston (or not), like Glenn mentioned, I should be
able to have anywhere from 10 to 11.5:1.

BTW, I'm using the newer, small cc heads. You may need to shave your's a bit
or use a thinner head gasket.

I ran this by Dan LaGrou. He said he hasn't tried this combo, but thought it
would work.

Carl