Wheel width\ride height?

To: <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Wheel width\ride height?
From: "Ethan Lydon" <ccclvi@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 10:11:55 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
I'm just getting started with my conversion project and considering my options
for the suspension.  The car is a '79 B and I'm looking for a "fast street"
car that I can drive regularly.  (a very firm suspension is fine, but not
"race car" harsh)   I'd like to hear your experience with lowering and wider
tires... how low and how wide did you go?  For tire width, I understand that
the rear fender becomes the interference point, and you can't increase the
backspacing which limits you to about 6" wide wheels (if you use a panhard rod
to lock the back end in place).  Is this accurate, or do you need to stick
with 5.5"?  What about re-arching the rear fender to match the front?  Does
this buy a little more room, or with the car lowered does it become an
interference problem again during full suspension travel?   I'd like to keep
the fender modifications minimal (in other words, maybe a small flare, but I'd
like to avoid the large sebring flares), but I was thinking at least an inch
lower with 15X7 or 16X7 might be nice if I can keep them tucked under the
fender nicely.

So, how low did you go?  What size wheels? Where did your larger sized
minilite\panasport type wheels come from? (The archives point to KSPEED but
they are no longer in business.)

Any pics of your setup would be great too!

Thanks in advance!

Ethan Lydon