Re: Looking for a lonely 300 head

To: <tswrace@pacbell.net>, <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Subject: Re: Looking for a lonely 300 head
From: "JJJ" <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 12:31:25 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
Cc: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>, <dkern@napanet.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
 Tom,
    That's a very good question.  I know that contaminated antifreeze can
corrode aluminum like crazy.  It's the CC nearest the end of the head, and
right next to the kidney-shaped (?) opening that connects the water jackets
betweent the head and block.  That opening is also pitted.  I suspect that
the block had a crack in it, or that the engine sat for a while w/
antifreeze in the cylinder.  The head could also be cracked (need to get it
pressure checked) but I figured I'd wait on the check 'till after I decided
if the CC could be salvaged.
    I'm open to other theories as to why that one CC would have corroded.
As with most things in life, I'm doing allot of guessing.  There are
scattered pits in the other CCs, and in nearly every head (iron or aluminum)
I've ever seen, but nothing like this one CC.
    Thanks for the thoughts.
James J.