Cooling!

To: mgb-v8 <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cooling!
From: "T. S. White" <tswrace@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 09:30:43 -0700
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I have been following the discussion of cooling with some interest.  I
have a TR3A with a 289 Ford in it.  Cooling has been a problem for me
for many years.

I agree that the area in the wheel well is a low pressure area.  I
achieved noticeable relief when I cut holes into that area.  Also it is
essential to shroud the fan and baffle the radiator.  You do not want
hot air from the engine compartment recirculating into the radiator.  If
the engine compartment becomes a high pressure area you can stall the
air flow through the radiator.  Thus it is important to get as much air
out of the engine compartment as you put into it.  Given an adequate
sized radiator and fan you should not need to get more air into the
engine compartment.

To check engine operating temps get a lazer temp guage at the parts
store.  Once I did this I discovered the temp problem I was wrestling
with was a guage problem.  I am switching to an electric guage.

        Best regards,
        Tom