Re: Rover 3.9 Engine Breathing?

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rover 3.9 Engine Breathing?
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 23:42:27 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I got the part about the hose being connected upstream of the carb, but
what threw me for a loop was the original text.  It thought the original
problem he had was oil leaking from the engine due to positive pressure
in the sump.  It also sounded like he already had the appropriate
breathers on his valve covers, yet his engine was still leaking.  I
interpreted that  his problem was fixed after he implemented your
solution, but it looked to me like the only difference between his
original configuration and your configuration was the intake hose from
the air-filter to the valve cover.  If his problem was over-pressure in
the sump, adding another hose to the valve cover would vent the sump
gasses into the filter, not the other way around since gasses go from
high to low pressure areas.  Thats why I asked if his problem was solved
by an extra outgassing path from the sump, rather than sucking fresh air
into the sump which is above ambient pressure when the engine is
running.  However, I get the feeling that I missd some of the
conversation, and probably some of the relevant details.  Sorry if I'm
confusing things.
James J.