Re: (no subject)

To: "robert cox" <packrat3@visi.net>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: (no subject)
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 20:12:06 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Robert, I think that if you go the RBB engine mount route then the RBB cross
member makes the most sense.  A number of us have gone a different route
where we use the Buick rubber mounts and fabricate chassis mounts for them.
This makes for, IMO, better engine mount accessibility (I have done both
types), but are not so forgiving in engine mount failures.  If the RBB
mounts fail they will compress, if the Buick mounts fail the engine can fall
off of them.  I assume there are internal braces to keep the engine from
going far but it is a consideration.  If you got the RBB route, buy and fit
the x-member before you weld in the engine mounts because the rack goes
through them and thus makes locating them easier.

In either situation, if you stay with the chrome bumper crossmember you will
have to tilt the steering shaft down.  This is either done by making tapered
shims or by cutting and rewelding the rack brackets, neither method is very
hard.  In my case I moved the firewall mounting for the steering rack down
about 2 inches, but this is not always necessary.

The best route to go, and you will hear this for countless situations, is to
fit the engine on whatever engine mounts you chose to use and fit your
headers, then move things to clear them.  It doesn't sound like you have
fitted the engine yet, do that first as there is really only one place it
can go.

In my, very radical, case I needed to move the steering column down to clear
my header pipes.  I'll leave out my particular details because they are very
over the top, but the primary concerns here are to clear the engine mounts
and for the u-joint to clear the rearmost exhaust bolt.

I hope others will chime in on their personal experiences in the more
'normal' fitting of a V8.

James Nazarian
71 MGB Tourer
71 MGBGT V8