My new engine - longish

To: "v8" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: My new engine - longish
From: "james" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 02:27:25 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I was typing an email, and I just realized I never sent an update about what I
found.  Thanks to all that offered parts or engines, and don't laugh about
where I went for this engine.  My dad and I went to Lawton Iowa, almost to
Montana if you've never heard of the bustling metropolis of Lawton.  He had a
motorcycle part to pick up in mid Iowa so they ended up being in the same neck
of the woods.

Anyways...The engine was supposed to be from a low mileage 63 F-85.  When I
arrived, my first surprise was the service manual that got thrown in with the
engine.  I came to discover that the Pastor that owned it had bought the car
with 20 some thousand miles on it, drove it to the junkyard and gave them the
car in exchange for them pulling the engine.  He bought it to power his
airplane, but he ended up buying a counterbalanced vortec v6 for the greater
power to same weight advantage.

Over the last few weekends I have torn into it, to access it and to put some
of my bits on it.  First thing I did was to pull the intake, the valley was a
bit golden brown, until I swiped it with a towel to pick up a piece of grit I
knocked in.  Underneath the oil in the valley the aluminum is still unstained.
I pulled the water pump because the bearings were a bit rough, and for an
$0.85 gasket I put in the one I had, all looked well there, bit of build up
but not enough to concern me.  I pulled the pan to knock the bottom back flat
and the bottom end was also beautiful.  I poked around in the cylinders with a
fiberoptic attachment on a mag-lite, which is a good $10 alternative to a
boroscope, and the cylinder walls seemed to still show factory crosshatching.

I scrubbed the thing clean and will be reinstalling it as soon as I get a thaw
and can get it from garage to barn to the car.  I think I really found a gem
and look forward to getting back on the road in the spring.

James Nazarian
71 B tourer
71 BGT V8
85 Dodge Ram