Distributor Question

To: MGB-v8 list <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Distributor Question
From: James Jewell <m1garand@directvinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 09:56:16 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I thought I recalled seeing that the distributors from Buick 340 and 350
engines would also work on the B.O.P.R. engines.  In fact I recall that
the H.E.I. distributors from around '74 and up were a great choice.  I
got a great deal (or so I thought) on e-bay for a freshly rebuilt one
(points, non-HEI) ($20.00), but when it arrived I noticed a few
differences.  First of all, the black o-ring just below the
thrust-flange was not part of this design, and the distributor was about
3/16" longer from the bottom of that flange to the bottom of the drive gear.

So what gives???  Do I need a spacer between the flange and the block?
 Did I get the wrong part?

Thanks in advance for any words of advice.

James J.