RE: One or two for the road

To: "'James Jewell'" <m1garand@directvinternet.com>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: One or two for the road
From: "Jim Stuart" <vze3swyy@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 19:13:36 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I would run simple 80/90 weight gear oil in the rear, available at any parts
store, Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc. You probably will not drive the car hard
enough to need synthetics, but nothing wrong with doing it. The T-5 uses
ATF, not normal gear oil, whether the Ford or GM version. Red Line is my
choice for the tranny, as it really helps the shifts, buy the proper
product, be sure to tell Red Line which tranny you are using.

Engine oil for a rebuilt engine- do not use synthetic for the first 2000
miles of break in. Use a cheap straight weight to get the rings to seat.
After that, I like Mobil 1. I like to do an oil & filter change at 500 miles
to clear anything in the way of trash left from the rebuild, then another at
2000 miles. Call me cautious.

The Ford has better gear ratios than the GM version, but may not put the
shifter in the best location- you will have to check this out. New in the
box Ford T-5's are $1100.00 from Ford, not a bad deal, considering a rebuilt
GM is around $900.00.

Jim Stuart

Reply to <jimbb88@usa.com>