Rover Roller Rockers, Over? And an engine idea...

To: MGB-v8 list <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rover Roller Rockers, Over? And an engine idea...
From: James Jewell <m1garandusa@netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 12:13:32 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Anybody out there experimented with, or know about using roller rockers
on the BOPR engines?  Some of the Rover books talk about them, and even
show pictures.  However the parts suppliers are in the UK.  One of the
books shows Crane cams as making a set for the BOPR, but I cant find it
on the Crane web site for this particular application.  When I look
through US performance catalogs, I see mostly stud-mounted rockers.  It
looks like a few of the Mopar engines use shaft-mounted rockers, but
thats it.  Anyone know if they are dimentionaly similar?  According to
the same book, the stock valve covers don't fit, and a small-block Ford
cover must be used with an adapter plate.

If you look carefully at the ad for Lanocha Racing in the V-8 mag,
you'll see that they've converted the Rover heads to stud-mount rockers!
(Unless they are using the rare Australian Leyland heads).

As a mechanical engineer, I'm 'offended" by the use of friction contact
in places where it isn't necessary.  Roller lifters or Hydraulic Roller
lifters would be nice for the BOPRs too!!!  I know that the ICE has
thrived for nearly a century with all kinds of friction contacts, but
that doesn't mean that I have to like it!!! ;-)
James J.

p.s.  I have a Ford Taurus SHO, which is a high-performance transverse
V-6 with quad-valve aluminum heads.  It can easily put out close to 300
BHP with power steering, A/C and cats, which is nice for 3.0L.  I saw
someone use it north-south in a Shelby Cobra kit car, with the
bellhousing from a Ford aerostar van and a T-5.  I't wasn't until I saw
that picture that I realised just how low (and cool looking) the SHO
intake manifold is.  It might be an ideal candidate for transplant one
of these days with very little in the way of bonnet interference.
Hmmmm.......

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
Top.jpg]