Re: Rev!

To: "Simon Green" <sgreen@eurobell.net>, "MGB Newsgroup (E-mail)" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rev!
From: "james" <jamesnazarian@netzero.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 21:59:50 -0600
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
It is probably just reciprocating weight.  Internals are hard to lighten,
but are probably about the same weight.  The flywheel, on the other hand, is
easy.  BOP engines use a 32 pound flywheel, but with the proper math, a good
machinist, and a clutch mod can take the stock beast down to 17lbs.  I
haven't driven with my 17lb flywheel but it revs real quick.
The clutch mod I mention is that one part of the lightening is to take 1/4
inch off of the face, so if you don't move the throwout bearing, arm, etc.
forward by 1/4inch then you won't be able to work the clutch right.

One caveat, the heavier the flywheel the more momentum so the car is more
forgiving of the wrong gear, i.e. lugging up a hill.  A lighter flywheel
will rev faster but lose revs faster, so more downshifts may be needed while
climbing.  BUT, if you consider the weight of the cars that these engines
came out of, versus the weight of the B, it is doubtful that there will be
any drawbacks to serious lightening.

james