Re: mgb seam sealer ?

To: CraigFaubel@aol.com
Subject: Re: mgb seam sealer ?
From: Larry Dickstein <bugide@solve.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 17:01:27 -0500
Cc: mgs@autox.team.net, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
CraigFaubel@aol.com wrote:

> I'll be getting my car ready for paint, and I've noticed two sealants that
> look like they've been caulked into joints and seams.  One is a dark colored
> almost flexible compound and the other is a near-white, harder material.
> They have been painted with the top color, but I cant tell what's underneath
> it.  What is this stuff?

You answered your own question!  It is called seam sealer and readily available
wherever automotive paint supplies are sold.

> Is it commonly available?

Yep!

> Brand name
> recommendations?

I use whatever is available at the PPG store when I buy paint.  I don't think
one
brand has any advantage over another.

> Does this go on bare metal or on primered metal?  Does it
> get a primer overtop and then topcoat?

I (standard disclaimers apply) use seam sealer toward the end, i.e., after the
primer is on the car.  It wouldn't hurt anything to seal stuff and then
prime/paint.  What you need to remember is that water will get anywhere
eventually.  That said, make sure you don't "seal" the openings that are
intended
to let water drain.  A good example is the bottom of the doors.

BTW-it will take you a lot longer to apply seam sealer than you anticipate.  It
looks like a 3 hour job but it is not.  For that reason, you will use about 3
times what you initially buy for the job--don't get caught on a Sunday w/
nothing
to do and no product to do it with..

--
Larry Dickstein