Re: Leads/Distributor Cap

To: Bruce <brucemills@dccnet.com>
Subject: Re: Leads/Distributor Cap
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 20:20:12 -0500
Cc: MGB Newsgroup <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Bruce-

Buick cap will not fit the Rover distributor, but the Buick cap will take 8 mm
plug wires, if you want to change distributors, which I recommend for less
expensive & more available ignition parts. Depending upon the year of your
engine, the Buick distributor may not mate with the oil pump drive gear. Suggest
you contact Woody Cooper at the Wedge shop, or, perhaps Ted Schumacker at TSI
will lower himself to a discussion of non-Rover parts.

If you swap to the Buick unit, you can buy a cap from Summit that has HEI style
terminals, & Taylor should be able to supply brass ends for up to 10.7 mm wire.

Jim Stuart

Bruce wrote:

> I hooked up my expensive Taylor hi-tension leads to my Rover 3.5 distributor
> cap today. The leads fit very loosely in the cap. So easily that they would
> easily shake out of the distributor cap.
> I tried to enlarge the male metal fitting on the leads but that didn't solve
> the problem either. After taking another look at it I discovered that the
> boots for the leads are a little too big for the Rover cap.
> I was wondering if the Buick 215 distributor cap would suit the leads
> better. Would I be able to use it with my Rover 3.5?
>
> Bruce

[This message delayed, as it needed manual intervention by the list
administrator.  mjb.]