Harmonic balancer / steering rack clearance

To: "MG V8 List" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>, "Kevin Brown" <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Subject: Harmonic balancer / steering rack clearance
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 10:25:55 -0700
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I sent this last night to the list, but it never showed up, even though
the messages that I sent before and after it did show.  Since I do need
some input I am sending it again.

I need help!  I've got my engine sitting in my car right now and have a
question about how the harmonic balancer should be located in relation
to the steering rack.  The car is a '78 MGB body shell (that has been
converted to chrome bumpers) with a stock '78 MGB cross member, steering
rack and suspension.  I am using a stock '62 Buick 215 V8, a stock Buick
3-4 bell housing and a T-5 transmission from an '84 Camaro.  I am using
TS Import Auto motor mounts and transmission mounts.  Right now the rear
of the Buick harmonic balancer is about 1/4 inch above the center of the
steering rack.  How does this compare to your successful
installations??  Even though I'm using a stock Buick 4 bbl intake with
an Edelbrock carb I'm concerned that I won't have enough hood clearance
for the air cleaner.  It looks like that if I move the motor forward an
inch (so that the harmonic balancer is in front of the steering rack) I
could lower the motor another inch.  But then would I interfere with the
radiator (I'm planning on using an MG V8 radiator).  I don't have the
radiator mounts welded in right now (the DPO had removed them) so it is
a little hard to check out the clearance.  If you all could look at your
cars and let me know where the harmonic balancer is in relation to the
steering rack I would greatly appreciate it!!  I posted links to some
pictures
yesterday so that I can show you what my project looks like.
Take care.

Kevin Brown
Odessa, MO