Head bolts and gaskets

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Head bolts and gaskets
From: Jack Emery <jemery@mint.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 21:48:46 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
For about the last bazillion years most engine guys have torqued the short
bolts in a small block Chevy 10 pounds less....short bolts don't stretch as
much so to make an even clamp you back off a little on the shorter bolts.
Used to run angle milled heads on Chevys and an even clamp is a must at 14
to 1.

Seems like the same deal on the 215s.  Right or wrong I use about 35 on the
short buick bolts.  I use the Fel Pro blue gaskets with the blue side up.
That way if you pull the heads in the car cleanup of the block is easier
and you minimize crap into the engine.

The 300 Buick gasket should be the hot setup for the 4 bolt deal on a 3.9.
Reasonably priced too.
Jack Emery
Glenburn Maine
207-884-8523