Re: Won't Start :-(

To: Wake074@aol.com
Subject: Re: Won't Start :-(
From: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 18:17:42 -0700
Cc: dkern@napanet.net, mgb-v8@autox.team.net, buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
4/7/00

Glenn,

        My thought is that you should be 100% sure of the basics before you
worry about an expensive new starter or coasting down a hill you may not
even have available.  Please excuse me if I am insulting your intelligence
but, since this is your first rebuild, you may not heve gone this procedure
often.

        How certain are you of the folowing?  Timing marks correctly
aligned on timing sprockets when building engine; valves actually moving
(maybe hydraulic lifters are not full of oil?); Top dead center # 1
cylinder accurately located when installing distributor; correct timing
mark location on front cover for the particular harmonic balancer used;
point gap set reasonably close to correctly; correct cylinder numbering
system in mind (Left [driver's] side, 1 3 5 7, and right side, 2 4 6 8,
front to back); correct firing order observed when attaching plug wires (1
8 4 3 6 5 7 2); correct direction of distributor shaft known (clockwise);
correct method of determining which distributor cap hole to place # 1 plug
wire into; and so on.  Any error with any of any of these could foil your
efforts at this time.  My experience has been that, even when you think
everything is right, mistakes are still possible.  Check it again.

        Remember your ignition timing reference point is always #1 cylinder
at Top Dead Center on the Compression stroke.  Once you are sure the engine
is in that position, and have installed the distributor, just place the
wire from #1 spark plug into whichever distributor cap hole the rotor is
pointing at.  Then connect the rest clockwise around the cap according to
the correct firing order.  Misconnected plug wires can even contribute to
slow cranking.  Hope this may be of some help.

Cheers,

Dave K.