project car

To: MGV8 list <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: project car
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 20:17:46 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
All-

Work goes along on the new car. Got the engine back from the machine
shop, installed the flywheel, clutch, bell housing, ready to bolt up the
tranny for a trial fit, check the header clearance, etc. Still have some
wiring left to do, but all the big lumps are done including adapting a
GM style harness to the MG turn signals, wipers, etc.

I ha originally planned to use a MGC rear with a 3.7 gear with 15"
wheels. Now, I am re-thinking this & have decided to use a narrowed diff
from an 8" Ford, as I did in my GT. Big hang up is finding a center
section with the correct gear ratio. I still want to use 15" wheels, so
I need a center section with 3.55 gears. If any of you have access to
salvage yards that keep the old stuff, or know of a source for a good
used piece, please let me know. I'm trying to avoid buying a new or
rebuilt unit.

I do have a C rear available, wire wheel, 3.70 gears.

Jim Stuart