Re: Clutch Pressure Plate to Flywheel

To: Wake074@aol.com
Subject: Re: Clutch Pressure Plate to Flywheel
From: Jack Emery <jemery@mint.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 22:19:07 -0500
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
At 11:03 AM 3/6/00 EST, you wrote:
>I'm getting closer and closer to putting the engine in the car for the final
>time.  The body is completely stripped and I should be finished filling
minor
>dents dings this week.  I hope to shoot primer and lacquer next weekend.  I
>installed the Weber HTOB this weekend, very simple, but I do have a concern
>about the number of threads that the bearing screwed onto the spacer.  I
>think I'm only using the last 2 or 3.

You need a spacer 1/2 thick with an ID of 1 3/8 and an OD of 2" placed
behind the threaded portion.  Weber sells this part but you can make one.

>Anyways, to my question.  I installed a stock clutch from an 86 Camaro to a
>Buick flywheel.  My concern is with the centering.  I measured (somewhat
>carefully) the pressure plate and tried to get it as centered as possible
>when drilling the flywheel.  How much can I be off in the centering before
>doing major damage?  If I was to start the engine with tranny connected,
>would I break something?

.003 max runout, the issue is balance.  That 14 pound pressure plate at
5,000 rpm has a lot of potential force if mounted eccentrically.  Being a
former UMO student you can do the math......

>I solved the pilot bushing issue, after going to three auto parts stores
>until I finally found one with a book listing bearings by OD and ID.  It was
>an odd GM bearing, but they had one for  a few dollars.

Also fits most Chevys

Jack