Engine is in Car, and a question

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine is in Car, and a question
From: Wake074@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 18:53:54 EST
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I got the engine and transmission installed today, which wasn't as hard as I
thought it would be. One of those engine tilt things would have really come
in handy.  I'm using non-AC mounts on my 73B with original crossmember.  I
intend to use and Edelbrock 500 CFM carb on a stock Buick manifold.

After getting the engine in, here's my rough dimensions.  From crankshaft
pulley to anti-roll bar is about 1/8".  Its tight but I should be able to
shim the bar down to install belts.  The problem is hood clearance.  If I
pull a piece of tape across the engine compartment in the region of the front
mounting holes for the carb, and measure down from it I only get 3 inches.
Even with the hood deflection, I will probably only get another 1.5 or 2".
This doesn't seem right to me.  Roughly how much clearance should I have?
I'm afraid that moving the mounts down is going to cause more problems as I'm
going to run into interference with getting the steering shaft through the
mount.  According to my calculations the rail mounts are very close to the
factory rubber bumper locations.

I thought I had read this dimension somewhere before but can't seem to find
the thread on the list archive or the BBS archive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again for the help,

Glenn
http://members.aol.com/wake074/mgbv8.html