RE: Disappointment for the day

To: "'Simon Holt'" <simon.holt@tesco.net>, Ron Howard <DigiFX@coastalnet.com>, mgb-V8 list <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Disappointment for the day
From: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com (KILE, PAUL D)
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 12:21:33 -0700
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Simon mentions that the Factory car option is the "easy way out".  Yes and
no!  I was lucky enough to stumble upon one of the 20 or so Factory GT V-8s
in North America back in 1995, and I sold my soul to buy it.  I knew the car
had rust when I bought it, but I felt the rarity of the car justified my
rescuing it for restoration.  The car suffered from a "cover up" restoration
done in the late 80s, when the price of collector cars soared through the
roof.  This car had a (non-standard) blue paint job that looked real good
from 5 feet away, and a snazzy (also non-standard) blue leather interior.  I
was lucky to find someone who wanted to buy the interior as a whole for $400
bucks, so I recouped a bit of money there.  Now for the difficult part.

I stripped the car down to a bare bodyshell in 1998, I had made a deal with
a friend and accomplished bodyman to do all the rust repair, body work, and
paint, in exchange for a 95% restored MGA roadster.  We both figured the
deal was worth about $13K, his wife would get a nice MGA to drive and I
would get the most expensive part of the restoration done by a professional.
Well, that is happening....SLOOOOWLY.  It seems that all the cash revenue
jobs that my friend takes on take precedence over my poor bodyshell.  During
the last year or so, he has completed full restorations on a 1928 Ford Model
A, a 1950 MG-TD, a 1962 MGA, and a 1957 Chevy Bel Air, as well as minor body
repairs on at least 10 more cars.  Meanwhile, my car languishes in the back
of his shop.  He manages to tinker about on my car every month or so, and
has cut away most of the rust and has done the panel replacement on the left
side, but at the rate he is going I won't get the shell back for at least
another year.  We did draw up a contract that said he would complete the
shell within one year, but that passed last month.  I am reluctant to
pressure him for fear he will "slap" the car together, but the most galling
thing that happened over the last year was that he actually put a lot of
work into MY old MGA, so his wife could drive it to car shows!  A mutual
friend suggested that the MGA should be put away under a cover until the
work on my shell is completed - the bodyman did not take his advice.

Don't get me wrong - waiting for the bodyshell has turned into an unexpected
blessing.  I have spent the time preparing most of the subassemblies for the
car.  I plan to have the best and most original example of the model once I
am done, at least in North America and maybe the world.  But waiting for
completion of things I have no control over is the MOST frustrating part of
the project.

Cheers,
Paul Kile