Re: SWG sheet steel gauges

To: "Frank van Dalen" <F.vanDalen@lr.tudelft.nl>
Subject: Re: SWG sheet steel gauges
From: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 18:52:35 -0700
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
>Since I live in metric land I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me how to
>convert swg gauge indications to millimeters...
>
>Thanks
>
>Frank van Dalen

10/12/99
Frank,

        I may be expounding the obvious, but it is only necessary to read
the thickness, in inches, from your SWG tables and multiply by 25.4, to
convert to millimeters.  One inch = exactly 25.4 millimeters.  The entries
may be given in mils (1 mil = .001 inch), but the process is identical.

        My question is what does SWG stand for?  If it is American Standard
Wire Gage, then an example would be as follows; 20 gage shows as .032
inches thick.  Multiplying .032 by 25.4 gives a result of .813 mm.  My book
lists 9 different Gage systems for such things as sheet metal, screws,
telephone wire,drill bits, and music wire.  Each chart is different though
they all use numbers from 0 to 30.  Fascinating stuff to me.

Cheers,
Dave Kernberger