4.2 L installation HELP!

To: MGV8 list <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 4.2 L installation HELP!
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 1998 19:14:16 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net

Well, everything is in & hooked up. I have oil pressure, turned the pump
with an electric drill & a dummy distributer shaft, came right up to 50
lbs.Tried to start the engine, & it is locked up. Removed the starter,
hoping it was the cause, but no luck, engine still locked up. It will
move freely about 2 degrees, maybe less, then, clunk.

I guess my next step is to pull the tranny, clutch & flywheel to try to
find the source of the interference. Everything went together smoothly,
tranny slid right in. Put some moly on the end of the input shaft &
splines, clutch works fine. Only thing I can think of is that the
flywheel bolts were too long- new set for a Rover- but I don't know if
that makes sense. Clutch to flywheel bolts are fine, I can check the
lower half since the Buick bellhousing has a removable bottom cover.
Tranny is a T-5, buy the way, all this was running previously with a 215
Buick engine. I did put in a new flywheel & clutch when I did the swap.
Nothing is binding on the bellhousing.

Any one else have this happen to them? Good ideas, beer welcome.

Jim Stuart