Re: Crane HI-6

To: "Jim Stuart" <jimbb88@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Crane HI-6
From: "Mike Hartwig" <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 20:05:49 -0500
Cc: <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net

>I believe this is the old Allison unit in a new box. If so, it seems
>be held in lower esteem than the MSD.

I believe the Allison unit is in one of there lower end models.  The
HI-6 is supposed to be a great piece.  It is electronic, not the
transistorized hunk the MSD is.

>I have run a MSD 6A  for about 10 years in my V8 roadster, very happy
>with it. Available at the mail order sources like Jeggs & Summit
around
>$125.00.
>'

I found the MSD starting out at $80 or so, and the 6A is around $125.
The Crane is $150.  The verdict is still out.  I don't think either
would be a bad choice.

>Results are better milage, small increase in power, can use 87 octane
at
>9: 1 compression, 8 degrees initial advance, NO ping.
>Ran 10.75 : 1 with the MSD & 93 octane for years with no ping or
>detonation.

87 octane at 9:1.  Not bad at all

Now that you mention compression, you've got me thinking about valve
to piston clearance.  I got Buick 9.6:1 pistons and a Crane 260 degree
cam @ .004 lift.  Total lift with 1.6 ratio rocker arms at valves is
~0.43.  Do any of you guys run a similar setup?  I want to make sure
valve doesn't meet piston.  We'll be using Fel-Pro gaskets which are
quite a bit thicker than the original Rover gasket, so we may get a
few more hundredths of room in there.

How can one determine the clearance?  Is this an exercise in geometry
or what, or do I just talk to everyone under the sun to find the guy
who has bent rods and valves from valve meeting piston.

jay and mike