Re: Books and Steering

To: David Allen <dandr@mail.gwi.net>
Subject: Re: Books and Steering
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 19:15:07 -0400
Cc: mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
My car is a rubber bumper GT, but with the chrome bumper front
crossmember, so it should be the same combo you ask about.

Using the Towery A/C version of the late model mount adapters, the
engine sits about as far back as possible without surgery to the
firewall. I have lowered the steering column where it passes through the
firewall by an inch or more, by slotting the mounting holes. I have a
late model column with the small U-joint. I used the late model rack
because it steers easier with 195/95/15 tires on 6-1/2" rims, & I have
no plans to autocross this car. The mounting pads on the rack were cut
down at an angle, so the shaft would line up with the column. Slight
final shimming was required, as was shortening the shaft by 2-3 inches.
I did not re-spline the shaft after the cut. I merely opened the U-joint
collar enough to admit the shaft, & tightened down with a new grade 8
bolt, lockwasher, & nut. I marked the pieces to see if there was any
movement, & after 27,000 miles, the alignment has not changed.
Re-splining would be safer, but I do not have that capability available.

No extra U-joint was required, & no dimpling of the headers was needed
to clear the shaft.

I do not see any reason the earlier rack with fewer turns lock-to-lock
could not be used, but you do need to use the late model U-joint, as it
is much smaller.

Jim Stuart

1974-1/2 chrome bumper GT 215/T-5/8" Ford