Re: Tire Sizes

To: mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tire Sizes
From: Kelvin Dodd <kdodd@West.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 12:11:38 -0800
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Just throwing in more input.  The 50 series tires even on 15 inch rims
will not fill up the wheel well front to rear.  My personal preference
obviously but I think the open wheel wells look a tad silly.  As
previously posted the low profile tyre is not going to really be
helpful, and it will reduce the effective gear ratio.  Now a 50 series
tyre on a 16 or 17 inch wheel, Hmmm.
        My two bits are to stay with a 70 series on the 14", 60 series
on the 15".  The fender fill looks good and adds to the classic lines of
the car.  Lowering the car improves the upper fender fill, but does
nothing for the front to rear look.  My GT is running 205/60 on the 15"
Moss wheel.  I am running a wire wheel rear end with 1/2 inch spacers,
so I did not respond to your original post.  The 205/60 fit without any
problem in this application, but are a tad tight on the outside on a
steel wheel rear.  I have not had a chance to install them on an early
steel wheel car and torture test them yet.

Hope this helps
Kelvin.