[Mg-t] Question For Forum

To: Mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: [Mg-t] Question For Forum
From: "gunnellj tds.net" <gunnellj@tds.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 09:17:56 -0600
Do the two long rail-like structures that Moss calls The Main Body Frame
have a lot of strength when new or does their strength come from the
timbers they are attached to?

The reason I ask is that we are rebuilding a body tub for a "hot rod TD"
and these parts are not available from Moss. We were able to save the
originals intact, pur them in our media blaster and clean them up. Both
have one or two weak spots that can be repaired, but seem fairly solid
overall. However, they are not super strong either.

I am trying to determine if we need to have new ones fabricated, which is
probably a complicated and expensive task.

Has anyone else dealt with this and what did you do? Or is there a ready
source of these rails?

BTW, the car being made into a hot rod was a $500 rust bucket that anyone
else probably would have broken up for parts. It is a shame as we believe
it was a 20,000-mile car. The parts on the front of the cart including the
engine and transmission were all very nice for refurbishing, but the rear
half of the car was allowed to sit in water or something and was ruined. We
had to do $1800 of welding just to save the metal frame. So we are not
destroying a good car to make a hot rod and the whole project involves
restoring 3 cars as an ongoing series in AUTO RESTORER magazine. The other
two cars are being restored stock.

--
"Gunner"

John Gunnell