[Mg-t] Another electrical problem

To: <Mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mg-t] Another electrical problem
From: "Andrew Moyce" <drmoyce@ent-oakland.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 17:44:31 -0700
In my never ending quest to install LED running lights on my TD, using
two generic fog lamps off the fog lamp circuit, I managed to short the
hot (negative) wire against the frame and got what acted like a blown
fuse.  Trouble is the fuses are fine, I even jumped them to make sure.
I don't have fog lamps or running lamps, (and probably the fuel warning
lamp) but have turn signals, stop lamps, fuel pump and turn signals.  I
replaced the whole wire loom during the restoration and don't recall
adding any fuses.
Thoughts, suggestions?

Though I didn't get any responses on my intermittent generator problem
of a few weeks ago, the fault was in the rear bearing of the generator,
which was allowing the armature to short out against the field coil.
The generator was a rebuilt, only about a year old.  My theory is a
misaligned mounting and running the fan belt too tight.

Andy Moyce

52 TD

Mg-t@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html